|This article should be dewikipediafied. You can help Sega Wiki by changing it.|
The Super Monkey Ball series is a series of arcade platform games developed by Amusement Vision and distributed by Sega. It features 4 characters (3 in the arcade version) named Aiai, Meemee, Baby and (appearing only in the console versions) Gongon. The game debuted in Japan in 2001 as an upright arcade cabinet called simply Monkey Ball (which featured a banana-shaped joystick) and later that year was released as one of the three original Nintendo GameCube games. Since then, many sequels and ports have been created.
Here is a list of games in the Super Monkey Ball series.
- Monkey Ball (original arcade game)
- Super Monkey Ball (GameCube, N-Gage) (remake of the arcade game with new features)
- Super Monkey Ball 2 (GameCube)
- Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (PlayStation 2 and Xbox)
- Super Monkey Ball Jr. (GameBoy Advance)
- Sega Superstars (PlayStation 2 EyeToy game which features Super Monkey Ball as a minigame)
- Super Monkey Ball Touch & Roll (Nintendo DS)
- Super Monkey Ball Adventure (PlayStation 2, Gamecube, PlayStation Portable)
- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Wii)
- Super Monkey Ball (iPhone)
- Super Monkey Ball 2 (iPhone remake)
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition (iPad)
- Super Monkey Ball: Step & Roll (Wii)
- Super Monkey Ball 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
- Super Monkey Ball: Ticket Blitz (Arcade)
- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz
As opposed to normal games where the player takes control of the character itself, Super Monkey Ball has the player move their character around by tilting the world itself (the exception of this being Super Monkey Ball Adventure). By tilting the board at various angles, players can control the speed and turning of the character. The goal of each level is to reach a goal banner before time runs out and without falling off the edge of the level. Bonus points and extra lives can be earned by collecting bananas littered across the stage. Early games use traditional controllers to play whilst many recent titles utilise some of the modern technology, such as the accelerometers of the Wii and iPhone titles.
The main characters are AiAi, MeeMee, Baby, GonGon, YanYan and Doctor. AiAi is a playable character in Sonic Riders and Sega Superstars Tennis (the latter of which also features MeeMee as an unlockable character). AiAi also appears in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.
Aiai is an average character. He has average stats for each category.
Meemee has more speed and weight, and she has good jump ability to make up for it.
Gongon may have the biggest ball, resulting in the worst jump ability, like Doctor, and bad acceleration, but, to make up for it, he is the slowest character in the game and he has the heaviest weight. Because he has the biggest ball, he may hit the boundaries of a goal where other monkeys would fit snugly.
Baby has the smallest ball, giving him good jump ability and acceleration, and he is quite fast and has the lightest weight. He fits safer into goals than the other monkeys, because of his small size. In this game, he gets a new costume and matching sunglasses, specifically designed for the game.
YanYan may have the best jump ability in the game, but all of the rest of her stats are somewhat below average.
Doctor has the best acceleration in the game, and all of his remaining stats are average, but he ties Gongon for the worst jump ability. dr bad boon is the main villan of the game.