Usually, the commercials have Sanshiro showing strength or being skilled, like breaking concrete with his forehead or picking someone up and throwing them with little effort (the drop then causes them to explode... twice). He is also shown to be a skilled martial artist.
Sanshiro lives as a hermit, training with a giant Sega Saturn and will sometimes go into the city to "enlighten" people about the Sega Saturn by beating them up until they play it. When the Dreamcast was made, he was no longer needed. In his final commercial, a terrorist fired a missile at the Sega of Japan but Sanshiro stopped the missile and flew off into space and muttered "Sega Saturn Shiro!!" a few more times before the missiles explodes and Sanshiro dies. The announcer then states that "Segata Sanshiro will live on in your hearts," followed by a display of the game Segata Sanshirō Shinken Yūgi.
- Segata Sanshirō Shinken Yūgi (1998): Is a Sega Saturn game, only released in Japan, in which Sanshiro plays a major role.
- Project × Zone 2: Segata Sanshiro is featured as a playable character in this crossover game.
- Segata Sanshirō was played by actor Hiroshi Fujioka, an expert in martial arts and well known in Japan for his interpretations of characters in many tokusatsu series (i.e.: Kamen Rider).
- The character was a spoof of Sugata Sanshirō, a legendary masterful character of the homonymous film (1943) from director Akira Kurosawa.
- Segata Sanshirō was both mentioned in the Conquest of the Commercials and incluided in Dragon's Lair the Movie Sketch videos from Nostalgia Critic/Channel Awesome.