As a computer unit, Nicole’s design is slightly inconsistent. In general terms, her hand-held is relatively compact, grey in color, and features a flip-top, a screen, two buttons and a small keypad. However, the number of keys, size and general positioning of the unit varies from artist to artist. The unit also has an attachable hook on the top screen where a Power Ring can be inserted.
Nicole’s simulated/projected body takes the form of a brownanthropomorphic lynx; the ends of her ears are black, and her face features a stripe along the bridge of the nose as well as one under each eye. Her eyes are green and her black hair is medium-long with splits at the ends. For attire, she wears a shoulder-less, sleeveless and purple dress with split tails, decorated with a small broach. She has black pants, white gloves, and shoes, the gloves featuring round gold cuffs while the shoes had silver cuffs and toes.
Originally, Nicole's behavior was completely logic-orientated, with logic being the only motivation behind any decision, and she seemed lacking in autonomy. As time went on though, Nicole became more lifelike, and currently possesses many of the traits of a living being which she is fully regarded as by her friends. She is friendly, helpful and a loyal member of the New Freedom Fighters, having helped her friends at her own risk more than once. She is also able to express concern and support for others, and feeling guilty at risking the mental stability of her friends when restoring their old memories, and is not without the ability to mock or express defiance.
Despite her experiences, Nicole is at times out of touch with the life-like side of herself, reverting to the more logical thought processes of a machine as she dismisses the illogical nature of magic and wishful thinking, and initially seeing the beautiful Crystal Cave as little more than a mineral deposit. Despite this, she is capable of appreciating beauty as she experiences the wonders of having an actual body, and of helping others in times of difficulty. In addition, Nicole has become somewhat philosophical, realizing how important it is to preserve the wonders of the world they are fighting for.
Nicole also seems to resent her previous emotionless self as she states to Dr. Ellidy that while she can recall past memories, she does not like looking back to them as she now sees them in a whole new perspective.
Powers and abilities Edit
As a computer, Nicole possesses a variety of abilities. In her handheld form, she can interface with other mechanical systems, allowing her to access and download information or even provide the Freedom Fighters with control over various unfriendly technologies. She also possesses a genius-level intellect, as she can process information and possess knowledge far beyond the average person.
Nicole is able to project a small hologram of her lynx form from her hand-held. When fitted with a Power Ring, she can fully assume her lynx form, though it dissipates if the Power Ring runs out. In her holographic form, she has fully functional limbs and the use of several senses. Her hologram form is vulnerable to attack, but no damage is incurred to Nicole so long as her handheld form remains unharmed. Nicole also is able to create barriers of an unknown greenish energy, which are strong enough to block laser fire. In the Digital World Nicole's abilities are expanded remarkably to the point she is capable of virtually anything she wishes, making her a fierce opponent. In the Digital World Nicole's powers are incredible, ranging from modifying and controlling existing virtual structures to creating new material, such as weapons-she seems to favor a pitchfork-like implement. She is also capable of producing digital energy blasts and creating firewalls, though her strength is not unlimited.
When reality was reshaped, Nicole somehow absorbed residual energy from the Super Genesis Wave, which severely compromised her systems. However, contact with her computer body allowed inhabitants of the altered reality to regain their memories of the unaltered Mobius, as seen with Walter Naugus and the Freedom Fighters (sans Sonic), though the process would be mentally overwhelming and even threaten their mental stability. Once all the leftover Genesis Wave energy had been spent, she lost this ability.
Overclocked Nicole Edit
- Main article: Overclocked Nicole
With a Red Star Ring hooked up to Nicole's handheld, Nicole can become Overclocked Nicole. In this form, Nicole's powers in the Digital World is greatly enhanced, reaching the point where she can easily overpower Phage.
- Fans question whether Nicole's Mobian lynx form was a bit of a joke, since Nicole is a handheld computer, and the Atari "Lynx" was a handheld game system.
- In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, there is a device called the Med Emitter which bares a striking resemblance to Nicole's computer form.
- Nicole's name can be spelled in all capitals or like a normal name, as Ian Flynn has stated "I suppose if you wanted to make the distinction between the computer and the soul, you could say the computer was all-caps. But at this point I consider her a "normal" part of the cast, so it'd be "Nicole.""
- NICOLE's present holographic form is comparable to the holograms seen in the Star Trek television series, which would fit with the comics' tendency to make references and parodies of various science-fiction genres. Her computer form is also reminiscent of the tricorders used in that series.
- Nicole is the first non-Sega Sonic female character to undergo a transformation, namely into Overclocked Nicole, and the second overall; the first is Blaze the Cat.
- Ben Hurst, the late creator of the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series, apparently intended to reveal in the series' cancelled third season that Nicole's animated series counterpart had been a living girl who was turned into a computer by Dr. Robotnik. However, this origin story is considered fairly dark, and the comics have never made use of it.