Eternal Champions is an 1993 arcade style fighting game published and developed by Sega Enterprises. Released shortly after Burning Rival, Dark Edge, and Holosseum, and both during a wave of success of the fighting games bolstered by Street Fighter II(1991) Mortal Kombat(1992) sega developed this game for their sega genesis/mega drive exclusively. The game features similar death moves to Mortal Kombat's famous fatalites, known as overkills. It featured a heavy emphasis on the story, reflective projectiles, force fields, training rooms filled with elaborate traps, and a novel method of special executing moves. There was also a sequel two years later known as Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Dark Side. (even sometimes known as Eternal Champions 2 or even Eternal Champions CD) Eternal Champions was added as a downloadable virtual console game to the Nintendo Wii on 12/3/07. There were also two spin off games, Larcen Tyler's Chicago Syndicate, and Shadow Yamoto's X-Perts.
Welcome to my chamber. I am the Eternal Champion, keeper of this vast fighting complex. It exists in a place and time corrupted by centuries of misuse and destruction. My purpose in this grand scheme is to maintain the balance between good and evil, light and darkness, hope and despair. Now this balance has been lost and the very fabric that holds the world together will be torn apart. Your future, my present, has been destroyed by a cruel and unjust twist of fate. 9 individuals from various periods in time were killed before their lives could affect this dark existence. I have observed each of their short lives and have been powerless to stop the chaos. I have spent the centuries harnessing my power for this very moment. I am the pure and untouched energy of all the great martial arts masters that have lived before me. Their skill, wisdom, knowledge and inner-strength are at my command. Even with the force of their collective powers, I can only reward 1 of the 9 individuals with the gift of life. Any of them can have an equally profound effect on the future. For this reason, the contest must take place. At the end of this contest, only 1 will remain. The victor wll be returned to life a few seconds before his/her death, allowing him/her to avoid the past with the knowledge to change the future. Only 1 may succeed so balance may again be achieved. Let the contest begin...
- Shadow Yamoto - Female assassin from Japan in the year 1993.
- R.A.X. Coswell - A professional Muay Thai fighter from the year 2345.
- Johnathan Blade - A bounty hunter (formerly an police officer) born in Syria, raised in africa. From the year 2030.
- Jetta Maxx - Young russian acrobatic woman from the year 1899. (Note: In the game's instruction manual it mentions her being one of the cousins of Czar Nicholas II)
- Slash - A caveman from the prehistoric great rift valley in 50,000 BC.
- Trident - A green gladiator from the year 110 BC.
- Xavier Pendragon - Former blacksmith form Salem. From the year 1692.
- Mitchell Midleton Knight (Midknight) - London born biochemical scientist working for the C.I.A. back in 1967. (Jeet Kune Do Practitioner)
- Larcen Tyler - Ex-cat burglar working for the mob from 1920's Chicago.
- Eternal Champion - A protector of the balance of good. Also serves as the boss in the game.(Unplayable Character)
Alike Mortal Kombat stage fatalities, Eternal Champions featured something called overkills. Overkills are the excessive force or action that goes further than is necessary to achieve it's goal. They are simply executed by just standing within a certain area in the stages. However they differ stage to stage, depending on which background it is, your in for getting a gruesome finishing move. Here are 9 of them:
- 110 BC.(Trident) - Pulled under water and mauled to death by carnivorous plants.
- 1692 A.D.(Xavier) - Body burned badly by flaming stake.
- 1993 A.D.(Shadow) - Electrocuted and vaporized by an neon sign.
- 50,000 BC.(Slash) - Eaten whole by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
- 1920 A.D.(Larcen) - Killed in a nearby drive-by shooting.
- 2345 A.D.(R.A.X.) - Gets frozen disintegrated and swept up by robots.
- 1899 A.D.(Jetta) - Being swallowed up by an earthquake.
- 1967 A.D.(Midknight) - The falling loser will receive a napalm bomb straight to the corpse.
- 2030 A.D.(Blade) - Getting knocked/kicked or thrown into a large exhaust fan.